C. David Seuss, Chief Executive Officer
David joined Northern Light in July of 1996, as employee number 18. He describes that time period as when “there were 17 engineers and me in a basement.” Several years later, it was David who led an employee group in purchasing Northern Light from its corporate parent in 2003.
Under David’s leadership, Northern Light has been called “a professional researchers dream” by Forbes magazine, and has won many industry awards for outstanding products.
To name just a few of these:
- “Trend Setting Product” and the “Top 100 Companies That Matter In Knowledge Management” – KMWorld magazine
- “Web Business Award for Online Excellence” – CIO magazine
- “Professional researcher’s dream” — Forbes
David’s career highlights prior to joining Northern Light include:
- Cofounder and CEO of Spinnaker Software, which he led from inception to NASDAQ-listed public company (He prefers to enumerate his three years as the CEO of a public company as “12 quarters”)
- Consultant and manager for the Boston Consulting Group, running teams working with global companies on issues of corporate strategy
- Cofounder and Principal Vannevar Management, which provided merger and acquisition consulting and financing assistance to high technology ventures
- Engineer for Olin Corporation in the chemical industry
David is the inventor of Northern Light’s technology for the automated extraction of meaning from research documents, for which Northern Light recieved a patent in January 2011. He is the author of “Teaching Search Engines To Interpret Meaning,” Published in the Proceedings of the IEEE
in April 2011.
David has an industrial engineering degree from Georgia Tech (from which he recieved the Distinguished Alumni Award in 2002) and an MBA with High Distinction from the Harvard Business School.
David spends his after hours as a nationally-competitive saber fencer (he is the 2011 National Champion in his fencing category, is a member of the U.S. World Championship Fencing Team, and finished 3rd in the 2011 World Championship, earning a Bronze Medal), a race car driver (he has 25 years of car racing experience), and amateur musician. You can hear some of his music at myspace/davidseussmusic
One of his compositions is, naturally, Northern Light
, which was partly inspired by our namesake, the clipper ship Northern Light, and partly by our company. As he says, “I tried to write a piece that suggests both the high technology of a clipper ship and the lovely elegance of a search engine.” Click here to listen to David’s Northern Light.
David is an accomplished speaker on the topics of market intelligence, strategic research portals, business research content and search technology as well as managing and extracting maximum value from licensed market research across an enterprise. Email Sheri Larsen
to book David for your next meeting or event.